Creamy Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing
Creamy Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing evokes a dairy-free cheesiness that everyone can appreciate with a surprisingly low-calorie count to boot! It tastes delightful slathered on your favorite sandwich or wrap. Dollop a spoonful on top of a veggie burger to add bright cheesy flavor. Or drizzle this dressing over a plate of your favorite roasted vegetables to enjoy it as a lovely sauce. Enjoy it swirled it into a bowl of warm rice or served as a healthy dip alongside fresh raw veggies.
Oh, and you’ll love how it tastes in our Vegan Tempeh Blue Cheese Buffalo Bowl!
Here are a few interesting tidbits about the nutritious ingredients:
- Cashews bring the creaminess which helps keep it free of added oils. . . yay!
- Also, the tofu provides a generous serving of protein – 12% of your RDA, to be exact!
- Additionally, tahini is what makes this recipe taste like traditional dairy-based blue cheese dressing!
In case you aren’t familiar with tahini, tahini is a Middle Eastern paste or sauce made from ground sesame seeds. The touch of bitterness gained from the tahini that seems to make a real flavor deposit into this sauce. Tahini creates a uniquely sharp flavor. That sharpness magically mimics that little somethin’ – somethin’ that blue cheese lovers appreciate about blue cheese.
In addition to the delightful cashew-y smoothness of Creamy Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing, it’s also tangy, earthy, decadent and cheesy! It’s even cooling to the pallet which makes it ideal to drizzle over any dish with the word buffalo in the title. In fact, I first made this sauce for my family to enjoy as a dairy-free dip for baked cauliflower buffalo wings, no chicken involved, of course. Now we love to drizzle it over a new recipe I mentioned called Vegan Tempeh Blue Cheese Buffalo Bowl. You’ll have to check it out because I make an Oil-Free Buffalo Hot Sauce to go with it that’s out of this world tasty, and I make it using super healthy hemp seeds!
Anyhow, oil-free, gluten-free, dairy-free Creamy Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing is a sauce that I know you’ll use in more ways than I can even imagine, and I’m so happy to be sharing it with you! Pin this recipe for safe keeping and to keep it handy to share with your friends; yes, they will ask!
Finally, once you’ve tried Creamy Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing for yourself, leave a kind comment and tell about your experience. I’d love to hear how it goes!
Creamy Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing
- 0Cook Time:
- Yield: 16 Servings
Are you craving a traditional bleu cheese dressing but want to keep it vegan? No problem! Gluten-free dairy-free and oil-free Creamy Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing is a way to healthily indulge in the lusciousness of conventional bleu cheese taste, without any artificial flavors. Rich and velvety smooth, this creamy dressing will inspire you to try it in a thousand different ways and never cease to amaze you. Trust me; you’ll soon forget that you ever even craved traditional bleu cheese! And don’t forget to try it as the dressing to top off a zesty Vegan Tempeh Buffalo Bowl!
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked and drained - See notes for soaking methods.
- 14 oz organic extra-firm tofu, with 1/4 saved for crumbles
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- juice of one large lemon or about 1/2 cup or so
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar from the mother - I like this brand.
- 8 tbsp or 1/2 cup tahini - I buy this organic brand in bulk since I use tahini so frequently - the price is unbeatable!
- 1/4 cup veggie broth or water, in a pinch
- 4 to 5 tsp pure maple syrup or raw agave nectar
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 to 3 tsp rice vinegar
- a dash of salt, to taste
- ¼ cup reserved extra-firm tofu, crumbled
- optional garnish of green onions or fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Combine all the ingredients other than the reserved portion of tofu, in a high-powered blender, blending until smooth and deliciously creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired and then transfer the protein-packed creamy sauce to your serving or storage container.
- Now, crumble the reserved portion of tofu and stir it into the creamy dressing; this makes those lumps we all expect in a traditional bleu cheese. Garnish with chopped bits of green onion or parsley and enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to about one week. By the way, this sauce tastes fantastic drizzled across the top of a hearty and satisfying Vegan Tempeh Blue Cheese Buffalo Bowl.
- Cashews are a very soft and forgiving nut and can soak for as little as 15 to 30 minutes in hot water or even overnight. For more detailed information regarding soaking methods, visit my recipe link for a No-Cook Spreadable Cashew Cheese.
- Read this article to learn more about the nutritional benefits of tahini.
- Portions are estimated at a generous 1/4 cup per serving since this dressing makes an excellent dip or sauce to go with all things labeled buffalo in their title! When dressing a side salad, you may use half that amount, perhaps just two tablespoons which cuts the calories, etc., in half.
- Whenever there are ingredients written in the color orange, it means that the link is clickable and that the item may be available on Amazon. Mostly this is a feature used when the best deal on a particular item is found on Amazon, but sometimes it is merely because an item may be hard for some people to find. It is also helpful to those who may be unfamiliar with a specific ingredient.
- Total Fat 10 g 15 %
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g 8 %
- Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
- Sodium 28.1 mg 1 %
- Carbohydrates 7.6 g 3 %
- Fiber 1.4 g 6 %
- Sugar 2 g ---
- Protein 5.9 g 12 %
- Vitamin A 0 %
- Vitamin C 5 %
- Iron 11 %
- Calcium 5 %